Susan H.||Indian Shrimp with Spinach|
Sep 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
Seafood, Shrimp | Spinach |
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 packed cups of chopped spinach, fresh or frozen
1 stick cinnamon
3 pods cardamom
5 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger root
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp parpika
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 small yellow onion
1 Tbsp oil for cooking
few jalapenos, optional
salt to taste
1. Grate the ginger and garlic. Chop the onions and jalapenos. Spinkle the shrimp with the turmeric and paprika and set aside.
2. Boil spinach and drain the liquid. (The liquid can be used in soups and stews)
3. Heat half the oil in a big pan and saute the onions till golden. Add the grated ginger and garlic and cook for another minute. Add all the remaining spices, whole as well as powdered, and cook for another minute. (The only thing not in the pan at this point is the shrimp, the spinach and 1/2 Tbsp oil)
4. Move the contents of the pan over to the sides to create a big well in the center. Add the remaining oil in the well, wait a minute for it to heat and then drop the shrimp into the well. Keep stirring as the shrimp cooks (takes about 5 minutes) and mix the shrimp in with the onion and spice mixture.
5. When the shrimp looks cooked, add the boiled spinach. Let cook for a few more minutes so everything mixes in well and takes on the full flavor of the spices.